Recently Forbes Magazine listed one hundred great things about America. I didn’t include them all or many of the comments so you may want to look up the article for yourself but here are a few great things about America that looked interesting to me.
A few of the 100 Great Things About America – from Forbes Magazine
- The Internet – Oh yes, invented in the USA — maybe Al Gore helped.
- The Constitution and the Bill of Rights
- Baseball – America’s pastime…steroids or not
- Mount Rushmore
- Food in New Orleans
- Rock and roll
- Hawaii – Mauna Kea, Kaua’i…you gotta see it to believe it.
- iPod, iphone, iPad, and everything Apple
- Barbecue – Carolina, Mississippi, K.C., Memphis…it’s all good.
- Ford Mustang – Who needs a German car? We’ll take the classic.
- Slam dunks – Thanks to Doctor J
- Broadway – If the Lion King ever closes, Cats will come back.
- Mark Twain
- The national anthem
- Iced drinks
- Madison Square Garden
- Delivery pizza
- The Super Bowl – The parties, the ads — oh and a sports game, too
- The Circus
- M&M’s – Imitators don’t stand a chance
- Thanksgiving – Loosen your belt and watch the parade
- Pickup trucks
- The Simpsons
- Oprah Winfrey
- Frisbees – Not just for dogs
- Mad Men – Jon Hamm + Christina Hendricks = cooler than the actual ’60s
- New York/Boston sports rivalry
- MRI machine
- Archie Comics – Betty or Veronica: Over 60 years and the debate rages on
- The Golden Gate Bridge.
- Jazz – Even before Ken Burns discovered it
- Harley Davidson – survived both the Great Depression and the Hybrid
- March Madness – So crazy it spills into April
As we prepare for our national holiday as Americans, this article helps me realize that we have a lot to be thankful for.
We still privileged to live in one of the greatest countries in the world. Yet, with privilege comes responsibility. We have a responsibility to live up to the ideals we profess both as Americans and as Christians.
Jesus said: “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. (John 15:5-8)
I love fruit but before we can enjoy the fruit we must first tend to our connection to the vine.
Better yet, if we concentrate on our connection to the vine, the fruit will simply come.
A question comes to my mind after reading this: “How strong is our foundation?”
If our foundation is strong… if we maintain our connection to the vine… we will produce much fruit.
And this brings glory to God.
And this brings glory to our country.
May we prepare for the fourth by worshiping God on the third. May we strengthen our connection to the Vine.
May God help us bear much fruit.
May we bring glory to God.
May we bring glory to God.